More about Carol

I first met Carol in 1991 or '92 in Erie, PA at one of the
early meetings to organize GLIN. I remember sitting across the
table from her as the discussion lumbered on about the
bureaucratic considerations of entering into such a large
co-operative project. Carol looked for all the world like a
race horse in the starting gate, literally hopping in her
place, eager to get past all the talk and just DO it. There was
no doubt in my mind that she would.

Our paths have crossed occasionally since then -- maybe two or
three times a year. But, the infrequency of our contact didn't
seem to matter. Every time we connected it was as though we had
only spoken yesterday. I always came away from conversations
with Carol feeling excited. She had so much enthusiasm and
optimism about her work.

We were both the same age, and I admired her achievement, her
entrepreneurial spirit, and her ability to lead the charge with
a good idea and to trust that others would follow.

I last spoke to Carol in July. She took time from her busy
schedule to help me with a research project about the use of
technology in community relations. She confessed that, even
several years into GLIN, she was still bowled over by network's
use statistics:

"I am always surprised at how many (hits) there are from all
over the world, and from countries you have never thought of. I
am always astounded by how much power that we have (to reach
people all over the world)."

Carol's work in this life is done now. Even though it seems too
soon to lose her, I believe she has left behind more than
enough tools -- in a loyal and committed GLIN staff -- to
ensure that her vision carries on.

Ruth Edgett
Ancaster, Ontario