E-M:/ Diag Trees Need You (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 02:11:19 -0400
From: jkazmier@umich.edu
To: env.action@umich.edu
Subject: Diag Trees Need You

THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY!  THE DIAG NEEDS YOUR HELP!
THURSDAY, APRIL 17
1040 DANA  @ 3:45
As mentioned in previous alerts, the Diag is scheduled for major
construction this summer.  Much of this construction involves trenching
and digging that will damage the roots of many of the trees on the diag,
making them susceptible to disease.  The U-M forester has expressed his
concern about this and says that it is very possible that we will lose
many of the large trees over the next few years because of the
construction that will take place.
THEIR ARE ALTERNATIVES TO THESE PLANS THAT WILL PROTECT THE  INTEGRITY
OF OUR CAMPUS ENVIRONMENT!

We need as many students as possible to come with us to the Regents
meeting tomorrow at 4:00 pm.  President Bollinger has already expressed
his concern about planning and design issues on campus and now the
Regents need to be convinced that there is a problem.  Our basic
recommendation to the Regents is to MAKE THE UNIVERSITY PLANNING PROCESS
OPEN TO PUBLIC COMMENT AND INPUT, just like any other community or
municipality is required to do.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.  Please meet us tomorrow at 3:45 in front of 1040
Dana.  We will walk to the Flemming Building together and wait our turn
to speak to the Regents.

Please forward this to all appropriate audiences.
Thank you.

Postings to:  enviro-mich@igc.org      For info, send email to
majordomo@igc.org  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"