Re: E-M:/ DNR & Canada geese

With regard to Kris Olsson's request for some water quality data on the
Canada Geese.  The Coalition to Protect Canada Geese asked Dr. Gary Pearson,
DVM, to review the water sample surveys  in two communities where
authorities had asserted that they were closing the beach because of the
presence of Canada Geese.  None of the water sample surveys (there were
several from the two communities)implicated the geese in any way.
Furthermore if they had, there is no evidence that Canada Geese, in any of
the scientific literature, are associated with any human health hazard.  The
Center for Disease Control has not identified any health problems resulting
from the feces of Canada Geese.  I can provide you copies of the reports if
you contact me privately.

In  both of these communities, public health authorities admitted that
either there had been some problems at the waste water treatment plant or
that the septic tanks around the lake had not been inspected in recent
times, making them the likely cause of high e coli count.

In fact, both of these communities were reluctant to give us the water
sample data.  We still have an unanswered records request to Smithville, MO,
from February for information on their wastewater treatment plant.

Ann Frisch

igc.org
>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:58:45 -0400
>From: olssonk@umich.edu (Kris Olsson)
>Subject: Re: E-M:/ DNR & Canada geese
>To: redwingfan@teleweb.net, enviro-mich@igc.org
>Sender: owner-enviro-mich@igc.org
>
>>Kris Olsson wrote:

>Huron Watershed, we are working
>>> on a Phosphorus/other nutrients/nonpoint pollutants reduction strategy.  One
>>> source that has been mentioned time and again are all the waterfowl on our
>>> golf courses and playing fields.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any good water quality data on this?
>>>
>>> Kris Olsson
>>>
>>> ========================================================
>redwingfan@teleweb.net replies:
>>The Canada Geese were here long before we were, and water pollution was
>>never a problem until we (the colonists) arrived.  Man is the big
>>polluter, not innocent animals.
>>

>Kris counters:
>
>Canada geese may have been here, but were they here at such numbers, on golf
>courses and playing fields?  Humans are the big polluters, and animals like
>geese may be innocent in intent, but perhaps we humans have created a
>landscape in which the innocent geese become polluters.
>
>I dare say, in the "old days," we have less lawn/turf geese feeding area
>abutted lakes, streams and rivers.
>
>The bottom line is, I don't know all that much about the actual facts, and
>would be interested in hearing about studies of the impacts of
>geese/ducks/other fowl on water quality, due to their congregating in large
>numbers at human-made landscapes like parks.
>
>Kris

>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.
>
>Postings to:  enviro-mich@igc.org      For info, send email to
>majordomo@igc.org  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"

Ann S. Frisch
Coalition to Protect Canada Geese