E-M:/ Geese

Some interesting discussion on geese, particularly many of the
points raised by Chris Anderlik.  I would like to point out one
error in her reasoning:
she states that nutrient loading is not a problem to which geese
contribute, geese only process food into feces with no net gain
of nutrients.
This would be true if geese spent their entire lives on the lake.
Unfortunately, they graze on heavily fertilized lawns and ag fields
and then deliver their accumulated nutrients to the lake.
I also find it interesting that there is much discussion about populations of
various animals and plants but virtually no mention of the human population.

The above in no way reflects the official views of the MDEQ.

Postings to:  enviro-mich@igc.org      For info, send email to
majordomo@igc.org  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"