E-M:/ Public Health and environmental protection be dammed! DOE and corporationssupport tire-derived fuel

In light of the recent (three major in 16 months) spree of "spontaneous"
tire fires, I thought the EM readers might find this interesting.  As one
that lives in the direct line of the Sears fire, I certainly have concerns
about growing my garden this year!

Annie

___________

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
>Sender: dioxin-l@essential.org
>From: "Susan K. Snow" <sksnow@1stnet.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <dioxin-l@essential.org>
>Subject: Public Health and environmental protection be dammed! DOE  and
>corporations support tire-derived fuel
>
>Public Health and environmental protection be dammed!  The U.S.
>Department of Energy and its corporate supporters, such as Goodyear
>Tires, support burning scrap automobile and truck tires for energy
>recovery.
>
>For years, truck tires have been retreaded and reused as tires, which
>reduced tires from building up in waste dumps and prevented pollution.
>No more.  Now, Goodyear is focusing on scrap truck tire as fuel,
>according to their PR Newswire February 4, 1997.  "Consumption of whole
>medium-commercial truck tires as fuel is the newest chapter in the story
>of scrap tires as a recoverable resource, according to Goodyear
>engineers."
>
>**..."Development of a whole tire injection system to handle larger
>tires such as those found on semi-tractor trailers means that ever
>increasing amounts of these tires will be able to be used for fuel
>purposes," said Andy Eastman, team leader of engineering applications.
>Eastman, along with Jack Zimmer, a Goodyear business and technical
>analyst, work to develop and grow markets to consume scrap tires.**
>
>**Discarded whole medium commercial truck tires weigh approximately 100
>pounds each. Energy and steel from these tires is being utilized to
>produce cement at plants in three North American locations -- San
>Antonio, Texas; Blandon, Pa.; and Joliette, Quebec, according to Zimmer.
>He noted these facilities, equipped with the Cadence Charge System
>also are capable of using whole passenger and light truck tires as a
>fuel source. The patented injection system is marketed by Cadence
>Environmental Energy of Michigan City, Ind.**
>
>**"At the close of 1996 a total of 107 U.S. locations were consuming
>tires for fuel and another 96 were conducting or planning test burns,"
>Zimmer said. These sites include cement kilns, lime kilns, paper and
>pulp mills, electrical generating plants, an iron foundry and a copper
>smelter.
>
>"Scrap tires used as supplemental fuel by these plants reduces solid
>waste and air emissions while helping to conserve our nation's natural
>resources," Zimmer said....**
>
>**...The newspaper said rising costs and increasing government
>regulations aimed at reducing air pollution have some companies involved
>in heavy industry studying fuel options other than coal.
>
>Rubber can cause respiratory problems and give off a thick, black smoke
>when burned at lower temperatures, such as in trash fires. It burns much
>cleaner when incinerated by an extremely hot flame.**
>
>For more on their February press release, see:
>   http://grn.com/grn/library/tire-fuel.htm

> [...]

Ann Hunt
Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination
8735 Maple Grove Road
Lake, MI  48632-9511
phone/fax 517-544-3318
email <huntan@pilot.msu.edu>