E-M:/ Lariam (Mefloquine) -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from Mike Sklar <SKLAR.MICHAEL@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>

I traveled to Africa last year and took Lariam to prevent malaria.  I
experienced no side effects whatsoever, except for one vivid dream
during the seven weeks I took the drug -- hardly an unusual percentage.
I'd trust your doctor, or contact a clinic experienced in tropical disease
treatments.  If you have a history of depression or heart arrythmia, they
may counsel you against taking Lariam.

In some countries, notably Britain, there has been considerable
controversy about Lariam, bordering on hysteria in some cases.  There
may be some truth to the scare stories.  Considering the damage that
malaria can do, however, I'd suggest taking the drug unless your
physician counsels otherwise given your personal health profile.

>>> <PRSmyth@aol.com> 05/09/97 04:51pm >>>
Enviro-Mich message from PRSmyth@aol.com

Are there any experienced travelers out there who have firts hand
experience
or knowledge of the drug Lariam (generic Mefloquine) as malaria
prophylaxis?
 It is the drug of choice since it is usually effective against falciparum
malaria, the most dangerous form.  Unfortunately, the drug is reputed to
have
unpleasant side effects such as depression, vivid dreams,  lack of
coordination, heart rhythm problems for some people.

I am deciding now whether my son and I should take this drug during a
wildlife viewing adventure this summer.

Thanks,

Paul Smyth
East Lansing