Re: E-M:/ Ground Water Contamination

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

I agree that dumping is a serious problem, and we need more vigorous
enforcement. I can foresee a problem with prosecuting by addresses in the
trash, though. Imagine this - Joe Scumbag loads up his truck with trash to
take to the woods, and now that the law has passed, he has the foresight to
leave his own mail out of it. However, he has thoughtfully collected a bag
of your trash that you set out by curbside to be collected last week. Two
days later you're explaining to the nice officer how the solicitations from
five different environmental organizations, all emblazoned with your name,
came to be found out in the woods.

I wonder what would happen if some of the trash were simply picked up and
returned to the address in question.... Not a good idea, given that jerks
who dump in the woods are more likely than average to be violent jerks, but
fun to think of in the abstract.

Anyone have any constructive ideas about more vigorous enforcement?

At 09:39 PM 5/10/97 -0400, The Village Idiot wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from The Village Idiot <civildee@netonecom.net>
>
>To the list,
> Can someone explain to me why someone can dump in country road ditches,
>trash bags that contain paint thinner, old used oil, pesticide bottles,
>gasoline used for cleaning brushes, garbage, trash, household refuse
>including utility bills with their own name, address and phone number on
>it, and get away with it. In order for these people to be held
>responsible for it, or prosecuted for illegal dumping, there has to be a
>law enforcement officer present at the time and actually see the person
>doing it.
>      Why can't a law be introduced and passed to be able to have these
>persons held responsible for or fined heavily for disposing of trash in
>this manner.
>        We yell so much about pollution from so many things, this is
>something
>that we CAN do something about. Has anyone ever seen the trash and
>garbage that is dumped in our state forests and along our rural roads?
>If you have, stop and check for names and addreses in this trash, and
>see what YOU can do, and you won't be able to do a  xx!!!!!xx!!!!!xx
>thing.
>        This has happened down the road from me, and I have tried to get
>something done about it, with no success. The guy that put it there just
>laughed and saved himself a trash collection bill. And I cleaned up the
>mess to keep it out of my water table.
>
>                      "The Village Idiot"

>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

enviro-mich"

John E. Rebers
Department of Biology
Northern Michigan University