Re: E-M:/ Hidden Cost of Clearcutting

Enviro-Mich message from johnstom@deq.state.mi.us

Maybe I haven't made myself clear:
*Clearcutting is overused
*Clearcutting absolutely should not occur in certain areas
*Clearcutting does not mimic fire but, unfortunately, cultural
   resistance to burning and safety considerations leave
   clearcutting as the only viable option to fire in some
   instances (if anybody out there knows how to regenerate
   jack pine without removing virtually all competitors
   for light, please share)
*Forest management needs serious reform
We need to stop harping on clearcutting and start talking about
ecosystem sensitive means of supplying the wood products needs
of the market (or can we control the market - wood rationing?).
We should not rule out any logging method on appropriate sites.
The important thing is to maintain diversity at the local and
landscape level and reduce the overall impact of logging. Let's
stop focussing so sharply on sites and start looking at the big
picture.
Again, this problem boils down to an expanding population with
huge resource needs.