Re: E-M:/ Hidden Cost of Clearcutting

Reply to "johnstom@deq.state.mi.us"

Thanks for clarifying your position.  For those who wish to see how Sierra
Club has been pushing for management based on conservation biology principles,
we still have a few copies of our 1994 report, "A New Way of Thinking:
Biological Diversity and Forestry Policy in the Northwoods of the Great Lakes
State" which we used to try to lay out a proactive approach to solving the
management problems for forests of Michigan, and the rest of the region. After
finding that too often the assumption is that there is no positive agenda for
change when we were constantly fighting proposals that are harmful, we felt it
would be best to explain that there is, very much, a sound, conservation
biology based alternative to current direction.

While, FORTUNATELY, things have begun to change in the management of both the
state and the federal forests during the 2 1/2 years since the report was
published, much is still very timely.  Fundamental principles of what is
needed in policies that are designed to promote protection and restoration of
biodiversity are spelled out, and a historical review of the evolution of
policies within the Michigan DNR that explains how current policies evolved
still provides a backdrop for today.

If you would like a copy, please send us $3 to cover shipping, and we will
distribute these until we run out.  The report was published with support from
the C.S. Mott Foundation.

Send to Sierra Club, 300 N. Washington, Suite 411, Lansing, MI  48933

Anne Woiwode