Re: E-M:/ Is anybody looking for.....

Enviro-Mich message from koseks@deq.state.mi.us (Sandra Kosek)

>Enviro-Mich message from asagady@sojourn.com
>
>Is anybody in university settings or at MDEQ or MDNR
>or whatever is left of the Health Department doing
>surveillance in Michigan for pfiesteria, the biological organism that
>has been found in polluted North Carolina (and I think Virginia)
>waters.   This is the organism that kills fish, causes large
>ulcers on fish and on exposed  people, and that releases some kind of
>neurotoxin....

What type of organism is that? Is it one of the dinoflagellates?

SWQD does not routinely conduct monitoring for bacteria, algae, or other
microscopic life forms, although we do occasionally take samples as part of
specific projects. We haven't been called upon to look for this one. I
haven't heard if there have been any fish kills in Michigan where this was
the suspected cause (that's a question for Fisheries Division).

--Sandra

Sandra Kosek
Aquatic Biologist

Surface Water Quality Division