E-M:/ UP/Lake Superior Issues -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "LISA S. YEE" <YEE@nwf.org>

Hello Matt:

The National Wildlife Federation's Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
works very closely with Lake Superior community groups via our Lake
Superior & Biodiversity Project.  I suggest you check out our web site for
a look at some of the Lake Superior issues that we are working on with
local Lake Superior communities:
http://www.greatlakes.nwf.org/superior/home.htm

Here are a few suggestions for Lake Superior environmental issues to
consider in the UP:

(1) Copper Range Solution Mining and Smelter issues
(2) Special designation for Lake Superior (to protect it from toxic
pollution)
(3) Lake Superior as a zero discharge demonstration zone for persistent
and bioaccumulative chemicals.
(4) Shoreline development
(5) Sustainable forest management
(6) Tribal environmental/resource management issues

Here are a few local contacts for you to coordinate with for more
ideas/contacts:

(1) Bob Darling, Friends of the Land of Keweenaw (FOLK) and Lake
Superior Alliance. E-mail: bdarling@up.net
(2) Jim Bradley, FOCUS and Lake Superior Alliance.
E-mail:jbradley@sun.lssu.edu
(3) Janet and Bud Avery, AWAKE and Lake Superior Alliance, E-mail:
javery@up.net (try phone if no response to e-mail) ph:  (906) 337-2571
(4) Mike Donofrio, Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, (906) 524-5757
E-mail:mdonofri@up.net

Please keep us posted on the development of the workshop.

Sincerely,

Lisa S. Yee, Lake Superior & Biodiversity Project Organizer/
Wisconsin Regional Representative
National Wildlife Federation
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
506 E. Liberty, 2nd Floor
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-2210
Ph: (313) 769-3351 Fx: (313) 769-1449
E-mail: yee@nwf.org
http://www.greatlakes.nwf.org/superior/home.htm

>>> Matt Doss <mdoss@glc.org> 05/21/97 02:54pm >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Matt Doss <mdoss@glc.org>
Michigan's Areas of Concern Program.  The agenda is still under
development, but I am seeking suggestions in two areas:

1) Presentation topics of interest to the UP/Lake Superior
environmental/resource management community; and

2) Names and contacts for local groups or organizations with which I
may
work to promote and publicize the workshop, including possible use of
mailing lists.  This may include regional environmental action councils
and other groups.

Any suggestions or advice regarding the above would be greatly
appreciated.  Please email me at mdoss@glc.org or call at 313-665-9135.

Thank you.

Matt Doss
Great Lakes Commission