Re: E-M:/ backyard barbecues are safe

Enviro-Mich message from SCHLEUSP@deq.state.mi.us

On Sat, 24 May 1997, JerrodM@aol.com wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from JerrodM@aol.com

><< Browner said she doubted any state or local jurisdiction would choose to
> prescribe barbecues as a strategy for meeting any new air standards because
> it would "defy common sense." >>
>
>Is my memory failing, or did EPA set standards on wood burning stove
>emissions a few years back?

I believe you're correct. If I recall correctly, the standard applies to the
stoves themselves (i.e., the burden is on the manufacturer to make the stove
meet the standard), rather than to the consumer.

I don't recall whether there are any restrictions on the purchaser. For is it
illegal to "disable" the "emission controls" on a wood-burning stove?

>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

enviro-mich"

Paul L. Schleusener         Michigan DEQ, Air Quality Division
schleusp@deq.state.mi.us    P.O. Box 30260
Voice  517-335-6828         Lansing, MI 48909-7760
Fax    517-373-1265         AQD Web page http://www.deq.state.mi.us/aqd