E-M:/ Solid Waste Update

Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@msn.com>

Would you like a small glimpse of what we can expect on a large scale if HB
4037 passes in Michigan?  Read on...

It seems the City of Windsor, Ontario is in a bind as to where to put its
municipal sewage sludge.  Bids have been taken and the city is down to two
choices--using it to rehabilitate contaminated Fighting Island or pelletizing
and presumably selling it.  The problem is the City cannot make up its mind.
So there will be a 16 month period where the sludge will have to be dealt with
while they decide.

They have been considering landfilling it locally in Ontario in the interim
period.  Enter BFI and WMX, who have contacted Windsor about their interest in
helping them out.  These generous multinational corporations, good neighbors
that they are, have offered up Michigan's landfills for Windsor's municipal
sewage sludge!

This is a relatively recent development and we may be able to stop it if we
raise enough stink (so to speak).  According to Rick Coronado in Windsor, they
are trying to get the City to not landfill it at all and use it in a more
beneficial fashion, such as fertilizer.  He indicates that local pressure
there can stop landfilling, but it's needed on this side of the border to keep
it from slipping over here.

I will be finding out more from Rick as to who to contact in Windsor and will
post the information as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, I feel this is a very small indication of what the future holds if
we let HB 4037 become law.

In two years, I don't want to be looking back at the good ole days in Michigan
when we only had a few landfills in border counties accepting out of state
waste.  I don't want to be fighting battles over incoming Hamilton, Ontario
municipal sludge to Bay County, New York City's garbage to Lenawee County,
Chicago's excrement to Paw Paw County (unless tom alley wants it in his
backyard), Minneapolis' refuse to Marquette County, etc. etc. etc.

If you haven't yet contacted those swing reps. (Brown, Callahan, Mans,
Schermesser, Wetters, and Anthony), PLEASE do it today!  A subcommittee
hearing is scheduled for June 4.

Jeff Surfus
Toronto Trash Campaign