E-M:/ URGENT ACTION: ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE

Enviro-Mich message from Ann Frisch <fan46@execpc.com>

Food Banks in Michigan were asked this week to refuse to feed Michigan DNR's
toxic laden Canada Geese to the poor. (As of Tuesday, the permit from USFWS
had not been issued, pending receipt of letters submitted to the Michigan
DNR).  The Michigan DNR has asked the US Fish and Wildlife Service for a
permit to slaughter 3,000 Canada Geese and relocate 12,000 to public hunting
areas.  Food Banks were asked to consider the effect of toxic laden geese on
the poor they serve.  Please call and register your views with the directors
of Michigan food banks.  Phone/fax follows.

Dr. Warren Porter has urged caution in feeding these geese to the poor.
Canada Geese consume toxic chemicals including dieldrin, DDT, PCBs, lead,
paraquat, dicamba and other chemicals from industrial sites and our toxic
laden golf courses and manicured lawns.  Two studies show that "...1-5 ppm
PCBs may be sufficient to induce behavioral changes in ... humans...We know
very little about the impact of other stresses, such as nutrition and
disease state that can exacerbate chemical toxic effects."   "If a short
term exposure occurs at a critical window in fetal development, there may be
permanent effects on development."  Dr. Porter is Professor of Environmental
Toxicology and Chair of the Zoology Department at the University of Wisconsin.

The following letter of concern was sent to the Food Bank of Eastern
Michigan and the Gleaner's Community Food Bank, both potential recipients of
the Canada Goose bodies.  In telephone conversations, both Kerr and Kastler
expressed concern for the well being of the poor and the maintenance of high
quality of food provided to them.  Their telephone and fax numbers are
provided. E mail addresses were not available.

facsimile
TRANSMITTAL