Re: E-M:/ EPA vs. DWSD

Enviro-Mich message from GreenPlanet <riccawu@MNSi.Net>

At 04:17 PM 05/06/97 -0400, Karen Jankowski wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Karen Jankowski <kjankows@umd.umich.edu>
>

>Does anyone know what the EPA vs. the Detroit Water & Sewer Dept. case is
>all about?  Heard about it through a friend and now my curiousity is up?
>
>Thanks
>Karen Jankowski
>U of M Dearborn Environmental Student

>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

Karen it has been an ongoing battle since 1989,  EPA pushed DWSD to reduce
levels of discharges to the Detroit River by redrafting a new tougher permit
during its review.  Detroit refused to comply, and then EPA sued and Detroit
countersued.  This is one of the main reasons there has been no improvements
in the discharges of the DWSD to the Detroit River.  It is also why the
Detroit River RAP has accomplished very little in 10 years.  See the new IJC
assessment that is coming out now for comments, a draft copy is now
available by calling the IJC in Windsor.    Over a 10 year period from about
1981-1991 discharges of mercury increased 70% and PCBs over 250%.  Of course
the City disputes this and that is why they are still in court.  I will need
to double check the numbers but they are from the DEQ RAP documents.  For
intimate detail call Saulius Simoliunas (DRACC) at 313-832-3117 or our (CEA)
Great Lakes researcher Mary Ginnebaugh at 313-676-1233.  Mary is also on the
board of the Downriver Citizens for a Safe  Environment.

ciao

Rick Coronado
Citizens Environment Alliance of Southwestern Ontario
Voice 519-973-1116
Fax 519-255-7361
e-mail riccawu@mnsi.net