E-M:/ Reward, Aquathol - Hydrothol-191

Enviro-Mich message from Andrea Kinnie <andrea@eelink.umich.edu>

My parents own a cottage on Lake LeAnn, near the Irish Hills area.  Every
year, for as far back as they've owned it (12 years) - I can remember
a company coming in and "treating" the lake to rid it of excessive weeds.
The lake is treated with:  Reward, Aquathol-Hydrothol-191  Does anyone
have any accurate information on the real effects of these herbicides on
the lake ecosystem.  The flyer they put up includes the following
instructions:

Lake treated June 9, 1997

Do not use treated water for swimming or bathing until 		June 10

Do not use treated water for crop irrigation, household
uses or animal watering until					June 16

Do not use treated water for lawn irrigation until		June 16

Do not consume fish caught from treated waters until		June 12

The DEQ has provided a permit to do this and the herbicides have been
registered by the EPA. It goes on to say that the possibility of impacts
on non-target fish and other organisms is minimal.

My father fishes the lake regularly and I have two Weimaraners who love
to fetch buoys from the water (consequently gulping large amounts of
water in the process).  I am concerned that we might not be getting the
full story.  How does this stuff break down, does it accumulate in the
fish, etc.?

				 Andie Kinnie
	  National Consortium for Environmental Education & Training
		        email ~ andrea@eelink.umich.edu
      		        phone ~     (313) 763-1312
			web   ~ http://eelink.umich.edu