Re: E-M:/ Reward, Aquathol - Hydrothol-191 -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from Andrea Kinnie <andrea@eelink.umich.edu>

Thank you for all of your responses to my message.  I just want to make sure
that I am clear on the fact that this is not something that my parents
do, it is something that the lake association hires a company to do to
the entire  lake every year. I wanted to find out more about this because
I want be educated about what is being put into our lake and how it might
effect the ecosystem.  So far what I have heard has been reassurring,
but I do think I am going to look into why we have a weed problem to
begin with, as Sandra mentioned, though I would suspect it is due to the
use of lawn fertilizers (even though it is against the lake regulations,
it is obvious that some homeowners use it regularly).  If I can help the
associaton to see that there is a way to solve the problem and avoid the
herbicides - that would be a major plus for the ecosystem as a whole.

Thanks again for this excellent information!

Andie Kinnie

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Charles Cubbage wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:58:38 -0400
> From: Charles Cubbage <CubbageC@state.mi.us>
> To: andrea@eelink.umich.edu, enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
> Subject: E-M:/ Reward, Aquathol - Hydrothol-191 -Reply

> Enviro-Mich message from Charles Cubbage <CubbageC@state.mi.us>
>
> In general I'm opposed to the use of aquatic herbicides for several
> reasons.  A number of years ago, I served as a resource person for a
> student at Detroit Country Day who entered a science fair with an
> aquatic project.   She dosed freshwater planaria with 2-4,D at the same
> dosages as used for aquatic weed control - all sorts of developmental
> abnomalities were observed.  Although society has more tox information
> on 2,4-D than most herbicides, we still lack the basic information needed
> to evaluate ecosystem impacts.  In terms of who eats whom, planaria
> are not very near the top of the pyramid.  It doesn't necessarily take
> much to impact the food web, and I know we really don't have the level
> of knowledge needed to assure ecosystem protection from the
> broadcast biocides as has historically been done.
>
> Reason # two has to do with a fundamental difference between aquatic
> and terrestrial applications.  Once in the water, it cannot be kept on
> target.  As far as I'm concerned, if I choose not to use it and my neighbor
> does, when it drifts it ought to be considered a trespass!!
>
> All that aside, permits do allow aquatic applications, so your best bet is to
> educate the neighbors and lake association to be concerned, and to at
> least consider other options.  Educational approaches that develop
> polarization are costly in more than one way, so think carefully about any
> strategy.

> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

				 Andie Kinnie
	  National Consortium for Environmental Education & Training
		        email ~ andrea@eelink.umich.edu
      		        phone ~     (313) 763-1312
			web   ~ http://eelink.umich.edu