E-M:/ Enviromental Law Reform?

** Message may be incomplete in this note due to:
**   Message text too large
** The complete message is attached.

The attached is a letter from the Attorney General of Texas. It shows his
concern about the debate now going on in congress regarding the defense
reform act, part of which will change environmental law, not just for
federal facilities but for all.

If it were just for federal, or even military facilities, it would seem
that would be sufficient for concern in Michigan. We have many military
toxic sites in our state; at Camp Grayling there are six. But according
to what I have been hearing and reading, the debate now going on is about
changing environmental law for all facilities.

I don't understand why there isn't more concern about this on
enviro-mich. Where is the Sierra Club, the Michigan Environmental
Council, and others regarding this major effort to rewrite environmental
law?

Senator Levin is a major player on military matters in Congress. Should
we not let him know of our concern? Should we not let our representatives
know of our concern?

And if the attorney general of Colorado and Texas can testify about their
concern, why doesn't the attorney general of Michigan do the same?

Ed McGlinn

-------------[ MIME content-type: message/rfc822 ]-----------