Re: E-M:/ SLAPP Suit Bill update

Enviro-Mich message from Cameron Davis <cdavis@igc.apc.org>

Anne -

Re: SLAPP bill.  I'm familiar with the Avery SLAPP suit, having
provided friend-of-the-court brief support for them in that suit.  My
only comment is that we may be limiting ourselves unnecessarily by
trying to find evidence that SLAPPs are a problem IN MICHIGAN.  That is
an issue, but the bottom line is that the purpose of the Brater bill is
to be preventative in nature.  In other words, we want the bill passed
into law to prevent SLAPP suits from becoming a major problemem.
There's enough evidence that SLAPPs are a major problem across the
country to warrant pushing for a Michigan anti-SLAPP bill.

Cam Davis
National Wildlife Federation