Re: E-M:/ Pollution Prevention Legislation

Enviro-Mich message from Tom Stanton <stanton7@pilot.msu.edu>

Very good first step. I will be interested to see what's new in your
bill, and how different it is from the former services operated by the
MDOC/DEQ. How is it that noone in Michigan is talking about greening our
tax code? We should be helping market mechanisms to correct waste
problems of all kinds. Have you read the two new Worldwatch papers by
Roodman about subsidies and greening taxes? Have you read the World Bank
sustainable business project report (book) called "Financing Change".
Michigan is in the dark ages when it comes to environmental policy.
Other states and countries are running circles around us. The good news
is, that means all we have to do is cleverly copy other working
programs... no need to reinvent. The bad news is we are already a decade
or more behind, and Michigan citizens health is failing as a result. The
statistics on health and life expectancy in our overly polluted state
are shocking and disgusting! The good news is that pollution prevention
creates jobs at rates 2 to 12 times faster than the industries that are
the worst polluters. I find it incredible that discussions are ongoing
about raising the gas tax, and nobody has talked about a revenue neutral
tax shift towards pollution and away from labor, production, income,
etc. With the gas tax on the table, I would have thought policy makers
would be looking into the future, and not just this election year. Too
bad...

-- Tom Stanton, Lansing

Rep. John Freeman wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Rep. John Freeman" <jfreema@house.state.mi.us>
>
> Please contact us if you need further information!
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   CONTACT: Rep. John Freeman
> June 30, 1997                                   (517) 373-3818
>
> jfreema@house.state.mi.us
> POLLUTION PREVENTION LEGISLATION INTRODUCED
>
>         Representative John F. Freeman (D-Madison Heights) has introduced
> Pollution Prevention legislation.
>
>         House Bills 4987 & 4988 are designed to encourage businesses to
> decrease or eliminate pollution before it is emitted rather than relying
> upon treatment and disposal of wastes that are already generated.
>
>         Pollution Prevention activities would include reducing the use
> and production of hazardous substances, toxic pollutants and hazardous
> waste in manufacturing processes.
>
>         House Bill 4988 would create an assistance service that will
> support and educate businesses wishing to adopt pollution prevention
> practices.
>
>         "It is important that Michigan move away from the ‘command - and
> - control' philosophy traditionally used to regulate businesses and their
> effects on the environment and instead work with businesses to create
> practices that will prevent pollution in the manufacturing process,"
> Freeman said.
>
>         "I believe this legislation is an important step in helping to
> provide small businesses with the support and assistance that they need
> to adopt practices that do not cause harm to our environment," Freeman
> continued.
>
>         A Small Business Pollution Prevention Inventory Grants program
> would also be created.  This program will help businesses to adopt
> Pollution Prevention practices by making funding more readily available.
>
>                               ###

> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=