E-M:/ Michigan Ecumenical Enviro conf.

Enviro-Mich message from KWinch5940@aol.com

Hi all -
The Michigan Ecumenical Consultation on Christianity and Ecology (MECCE) is
now taking registrations for its third state wide ecumenical environmental
conference :
              "Proclaiming Good News to All Creation"   (Colossians 1:23)
            Sept. 12-14th, 1997   at Camp Friedenswald, near Cassopolis, MI
   (This Mennonite-owned 300 acre camp - featuring a fen &old growth forest -
is only about 15miles north of Elkhart, IN., so any folks from nearby
surrounding states are also welcome).
For a registration brochure, contact the Michigan Ecumenical Forum at :
                                                                  (517)
485-4395

Conf. costs range from $90 to $140, depending on what kind of lodging is
desired (rustic group camping site to lodge-type accommodations).  The cost
includes two nights lodging, 5 meals (with vegetarian emphasis), and conf.
registration fee.  Spaces are limited, and lodging assigned on a first-come,
first-served basis (regis. deadline Aug. 8th).

The speakers for the conf. are the Rev.Carla Berkedal, Founding Director of
Earth Ministry in Seattle, and Frederick Krueger, Program Director for the
Christian Society of the Green Cross.  These are both nationally-known
speakers;  they will each also conduct a workshop - Carla on Voluntary
Simplicity, and Fred on the Historical Roots of our Ecological Crisis (from a
Christian perspective); other workshops will focus on incorporating
creation-centered Liturgical elements into worship, current Michigan/Great
Lakes enviro. issues (presented by Dave Dempsey), and a workshop exploring
ways churches (congregations) can model responsible earthkeeping. There will
be a resource / display room and conference bookstore.

  ............underlying the conference are these questions (from a spiritual
perspective) :
what do we need to know, what do we need to do, who do we need to be? ... in
order to be able to "proclaim good news to all creation"  (it could use some
good news, don't you all think? especially living here in Engler & Co.
land.... ).  The conference should be an empowering time of renewal ... to
help stoke up them environmental activist fires   :-)

on behalf of MECCE,
Kim Winchell  (Freeland, MI)