E-M:/ deq staffer: live upwind in alpena

Enviro-Mich message from davemec@sojourn.com (Dave Dempsey)

The July 8, 1997 Alpena News quotes a staffer of the DEQ Air Quality
Division on the air in Alpena:  "If I lived in Alpena, I'd definitely want
to be someplace where the prevailing wind didn't blow from industries in
this town."  He was responding to a question from a citizen at Monday's
meeting of the Alpena Municipal Council.  The newspaper also attributes to
him the estimate that Lafarge Corporation emits more hydrochloric gas than
all other industries in Michigan combined, times 100.

Dave Dempsey
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Suite 2A
Lansing, MI  48912