E-M:/ Livable Communities w/ Dan Burden...Kazoo...July 25th/26th

Enviro-Mich message from Davedbike@aol.com

****Please pass along to others interested, Thanks**** Dave
DeRight--Kalamazoo

***A great learning, networking, and constituency building opportunity for
bike/ped and "Livable Community" advocates, citizens, interested elected
officials and staff--and very modestly priced, too.

The Michigan Dept. of Transportation, Kalamazoo Area Transportation Study,
and Southwestern Michigan Commission have joined up to bring Dan Burden, a
leading National bicycle/ pedestrian/ Livable Community consultant, to
Kalamazoo Valley Community College's Oshtemo campus (Room 1510), on Friday,
July 25th, and Saturday, July 26th, for a workshop entitled:

"Getting There...Transportation and quality of life...Can we afford Livable
and Walkable Communites?"

About the Speaker:

     Mr. Burden is a nationally recognized bicycle/pedestrian authority.  He
has had twenty-five years of experience in developing/promoting/evaluating
alternative transportation and sustainable communities at national, regional,
state and local levels.
     He is a director of Walkable Communities, Inc., a nonprofit corporation
helping North America develop walkable communities.  Among a number of other
impressive achievements, Mr. Burden has served as consultant for many
communities from New Orleans to Yuma, Arizona and various smaller cities in
New York State.  The projects include an evaluation of existing use patterns;
consultant to Project for Public Spaces; reviewed development of 12 regional
comprehensive pedestrian plans.  His list of accomplishments continues....
     Mr. Burden is also a free-lance photographer for numerous publications
including National Geographic, Better Homes and Gardens, and Sierra Club
Calendars so his slides are magnificent!

On Friday, the 25th, from 2:30- 5:30 pm

This half-day session will focus on the costs of not having livable, walkable
communities.  Are we ignoring real, financial costs?  And what are the
qualitive, yet perhaps quantifiable, elements we diminish in our everyday
lives without livable communities?

On Saturday, the 26th, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm

The full six hour session will describe low cost, realistic ways of building
livable and walkable communities.  If any community is interested in having
their community used in the workshop for illustrative purposes, please
contact Nancy Kagan at 616-925-1137.

The cost for the full workshop is $50 and includes lunch on Saturday.
 Multiple registrations from the same community are $25 each.

The Friday session alone is $15
Multiple registrations are $10
The Saturday session alone is $35
Multiple registrations are $15

***Registrations are due July 15th***

Please make checks payable to:

Southwestern Michigan Commission
185 East Main Street, Ste. 701
Benton Harbor, MI  49002

ph: 616-925-1137
fax: 616-925-0288
e-mail:  swmicomm@voyager.net
contact: Nancy Kagan

Print and mail this form below with your check (or fax...or e-mail, and,
perhaps, call to reserve your spot)

Name:_________________________

Representing:___________________

Address:_______________________

City:__________________________

State:____     ZIP:_______________

Amount enclosed:________

Mark below

____  Friday Session Only

____  Saturday Only

____  Both Sessions

Directions:  KVCC's Oshtemo campus is located one mile south off I-94's exit
#72 (9th Street exit)--the first exit west of US-131.  Take 9th Street south,
park and enter at the campus' south "main" entrance.