E-M:/ Get Paid for Spending Time in the Woods doing good!!

Enviro-Mich message from "R. Jack" <yukon@ismi.net>

Forwarded by Rita Jack:  Attention anyone interested in the forests of
Michigan:  Please read the below, and see my additional notes at the bottom
of Anne's message!

>From: anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 13:29:08 PST
>Subject: Get Paid for Spending Time in the Woods doing good!!
>
>Folks:
>
>I just spoke with Rich Hausler, who heads a relatively newly established
>section within the DNR's Forest MAnagement Division that deals with
>environmental compliance(!)  Rich is beginning to cover a lot of issues, from
>old growth protection to monitoring "best management practices" on lands
>managed for forest products.  I hope to speak with him in more detail soon
>about this job.
>
>Meanwhile, the teaser for this posting is based on the Forest MAnagement
>Division's Best Management Practices program.  Best MAnagement Practices
>(BMP's) are required under the Clean Water Act to try to cut down on non-point
>pollution problems.  These, in Michigan, are voluntary standards, but that is
>not the case everywhere and forest advocates are concerned that we are seeing
>a lot of damage to watercourses in timber cutting areas because of lousy
>practices.
>
>The BMP program has set up a process of auditing the success of the voluntary
>guidelines on a cross section of all forest ownerships across the state of
>Michigan.  Rich is asking for volunteers who would get paid a $100 per day
>stipend, AND get travel and expenses, to spend between 5 and 8 working days
>this summer serving on one of the audit teams.  Last year was the first year
>this was done and the results of that audit will not be available until the
>end of May.  There are three teams involved -- one in the Western UP, one in
>the Eastern UP, and one in the Northern Lower Peninsula.
>
>If you would like to know more about this program, contact Rich Hausler,
>Michigan DNR Forest Management Division, (517) 373-1275.  They hope to have
>the teams set by the end of May.  Sounds like a great time!!
>
>Anne

from Rita:  I have the dates these site audits are taking place.  If you are
interested, please contact Rich Hausler today.  They still have need for
many  "volunteers"!  Rich's phone is 517-335-3351

Eastern UP Team:
Week of July 21, and week of Sept. 8

Western UP Team:
Week of July 28, and week of August 25