E-M:/ JOHN ENGLER doesn't attend Great Lakes Governor's meeting....

Note that something else was more important for
John Engler than attending the Council of
Great Lakes Governors

....so it goes with Pothole John...

>>From bin  Fri Jul 18 10:45:41 1997
>Date: Fri, 18 Jul 97 09:33:39 PDT
>From: Jeff Edstrom <edstrom@great-lakes.net>
>Subject: CGLG Annual Meeting Press Release - July 10, 1997
>To: glin-announce@great-lakes.net
>Sender: owner-glin-announce@great-lakes.net
>
>NEWS RELEASE
>
>Council of Great Lakes Governors
>35 East Wacker Drive, Suite 1850
>Chicago, IL  60601
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
>Contact: Lois Morrison (312) 407-0177
>
>GOVERNOR RIDGE OPENS GREAT LAKES GOVERNORS MEETING
>Brownfields Grant, Tour of Ship Highlight Day One
>
>Erie, PA (July 10) -- Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge and the other members of
>the Council of Great Lakes Governors today received a $382,000 grant to
>support brownfields redevelopment, highlighting the first day of their annual
>meeting in Erie.
>
>The Great Lakes Protection Fund presented the grant to the governors to
>support the Great Lakes states' efforts to restore abandoned industrial sites
>to productive use.  Brownfields programs - also known as land recycling
>programs - encourage companies to locate on abandoned industrial properties by
>offering more limited liability and more reasonable cleanup standards as
>incentives.  Such programs enhance job-creation and job retention throughout
>the Great Lakes states, while also resulting in environmental benefits.
>
>"The Great Lakes Governors want to find the best ways to ensure that
>contaminated sites are cleaned up to healthy levels and that they are put back
>into productive use," said Ridge, chairman of the Council.
>
>Ridge was joined by Governors Edgar (IL), O'Bannon (IN) and Thompson (WI) as
>well as Ontario Premier Michael Harris and Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard.
>
>The announcement was made at Erie's Metro Machine Shipyard, in front of The
>Algonorth - a Great Lakes bulk carrier that also serves as a floating
>laboratory for scientists and engineers exploring ways to prevent aquatic
>pests and parasites from entering the Great Lakes.  The U.S. Governors and
>Canadian Premiers toured the ship and received an update on the project, which
>was launched at the Council of Great Lakes Governors meeting last year.
>
>Organisms such as sea lamprey and zebra mussels have been transferred to the
>lakes from ballast tanks of cargo ships, causing hundreds of millions of
>dollars in damage to fisheries, recreation industries, and water supply
>infrastructure.
>
>"We are proud to help develop technologies that will reduce the risk of
>unwelcome aquatic nuisance species that can arrive unintentionally with world
>commerce," said Ridge. "As states, we are connected to the needs and interests
>of the Great Lakes.  This ballast water initiative recognizes that we are also
>connected as a region to the rest of the world."
>
>The Algonorth project is supported by a $1 million grant awarded by the Great
> [...]

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)