E-M:/ In search of Great Lakes Trivia

Enviro-Mich message from Karen A Glennemeier <glen@biology.lsa.umich.edu>

Hi all,

I'm putting together a presentation that involves effects of PCBs on
amphibians in the Great Lakes Region, and I was wondering if anyone could
help me out with a few factoids about the Great Lakes in general.  I'm
looking for information about what makes the Great Lakes "interesting" or
"important", like being the 2nd largest fresh water body in the world (is
this right?  Where is the largest?), or information about commerce and
industry in the region, etc. (I know we all think they're interesting and
important just because they exist, but I'm trying to tie in economic and
cultural concerns as well.)

Also, does anyone know the current status of organochlorine regulations in
the U.S. and Canada?  I know there's been some recent activity in this
area, but I don't remember the details.

thanks very much,
Karen G.