E-M:/ DNR Announces Improvements in Gladwin ORV Trail

Enviro-Mich message from "R. Jack" <yukon@ismi.net>

Folks: Sorry if this is a duplicate, but it seems like good information.
Does anyone know if indeed the guard rails will keep ORV users from entering
the ecologically sensitive areas?  Are there good heavy fines for those
abusing this ORV riding area privilege?  I like the concept, and I hope that
ORV riders will take advantage of these special areas, and leave other wild
areas alone.  Does anyone have information backing this up?  thanks - Rita Jack

>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 97 09:56:52 -0500
>From: HASBANYJ@dnrserver1.dnr.state.mi.us
>Subject: DNR Announces Improvements in Gladwin ORV Trail
>To: dnrwire@dnrserver1.dnr.state.mi.us
>Sender: owner-dnrwire@dnrserver1.dnr.state.mi.us
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 24 JULY 97
>CONTACT: Courtney Borgondy 517-426-9205
>
>DNR ANNOUNCES ORV RECREATION IMPROVEMENTS FOR GLADWIN AREA
>
>LANSING-The Michigan Department of Natural Resources announces a number of
changes taking place in the AuSable State Forest in the Gladwin area to
improve Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) riding opportunities and to restore and
protect natural resources.
>Significant improvements are underway on the ORV Trail located in Gladwin
County in Michigan's Lower Peninsula:
>· A fully developed ORV trailhead is currently under construction near the
intersection of M-61 and Center Fireline Road. Located 1/8 mile south of
M-61 on the east side of Center Fireline Road, the trailhead will include a
gravel parking lot, handicapper-accessible toilet, information board and
directional signs. When completed, this trailhead will provide direct access
to the designated ORV trail.

>· A twenty-acre designated ORV Use Area has been created on the north side
of Grim Road, approximately 1/2 mile west Center Fireline Road. ORV
operation is permitted anywhere within the posted boundary markers and on
the designated ORV trail. Boundaries marked with brown signs.

>· An environmental restoration project is currently underway south of Grim
Road. The site is located between Eastman Road and Grim Hill along the
Molasses River. The purpose of this project is to restore environmental
damage caused by inappropriate ORV use.

>· A portion of the designated ORV trail has been rerouted away from Grim
Hill and the Molasses River. The former ORV trail located north of the
Molasses River is now closed to ORV use. Several additional miles of trail
have been added south of the river. Guard rails have been installed along
the south side of Grim Road and at other locations along the ORV trail to
keep riders from accessing environmentally sensitive areas along the
Molasses River watershed.
>"These special projects will enhance legitimate ORV riding opportunities
and help protect valuable fisheries and wildlife habitats," said John
Robertson, Chief, Forest Management Division. Conservation Officers will be
routinely patrolling the area during the riding season in an effort to
educate riders about the trail system changes.
>Riders are reminded that ORV operation is permitted only on designated ORV
trails, routes and use areas in the Lower Peninsula. "We are looking for
assistance and cooperation from trail riders, clubs and local ORV dealers to
help us get the word out about these changes. Riders should stay on the
designated ORV trails and ORV use areas and stay out of unauthorized areas,
especially along the Molasses River, and off closed trails and public roads
that are not signed for ORV use," said Steve Kubisiak, ORV Program Manager,
Forest Management Division.
>Detailed maps showing these changes are available at the Department of
Natural Resources, Gladwin Office, 801 North Silver Leaf, P.O. Box 337,
Gladwin, Michigan 48624.
>These restoration and trail improvement projects are funded from ORV
license fees through the ORV Trail Improvement Fund.
>For more information about the ORV Trail improvements, contact Mr. Courtney
Borgondy, Acting Area Forest Manager, in Gladwin at 517-426-9205.

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ=