Re: E-M:/ DNR TO GIVE AWAY 500 YOUNG ANGLER LICENSES AT MICHIGAN STATE FAIR

Enviro-Mich message from Ron Schmoke <schmoke@voyager.net>

R. Jack wrote:

> Ok Folks, I just gotta ask this, even though it may anger a few of you...
> Is it also being explained to these young, still developing teens that it's
> dangerous to eat the fish they catch from our urban rivers and our Great
> Lakes?  Or are they being told to "cut the fat"?  Are they taking the fish
> home to their younger siblings, and to their pregnant or nursing mothers, or
> perhaps other sensitive people in their household?  Are they being given
> handouts that are in English and in other common inner city languages, so
> that they can explain to their families why they mustn't eat the fish "as
> is"....
>
> Are they being protected in any way?
No anger here, just a little puzzled.  Protect them from what??
It is a great idea to encourage kids to have fun doing something that
will help build their appreciation for the outdoors.  Protect them?
Most of them are pretty good at protecting themselves -- they read,
etc.  There is no better way, in my opinion, to continue to build a base
of conservation and environmentally minded people, than to recruit young
people into outdoor activities like fishing.  I think the promotion is a
great idea. . Hopefully many of these kids will become the next
generation of environmentalists.