Re: E-M:/ laundry disks

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Jane.Rice wrote:

> Here's a reply to a question from last month regarding the effectiveness
> of laundry disks.  Laundry disks are hollow plastic shells filled with
> small granules that are used in place of laundry detergent as an effective,
...snip...

> According to the April 1997 issue of ChemMatters, the answer is no.  A
...snip...

I suppose a consumers group was right to test these magic disks but the
answer was known in advance with very great certainty - if the disks added
no substances to the water, they could do nothing more than equivalent
lumps of any plastic, which is very little. That anyone would be taken in
by a proposal to replace detergents with magic is a reflection on the poor
rational and scientific education a good fraction of people obtain up
through secondary schools. This is, in my opinion, a part of the problem
of conveying environmental education and deflecting the "sell" used by
those that would damage the environment for the sake of their profit.

--Rane