E-M:/ [Fwd: Re: AAA Study Show Detroit Air Pollution Reduction]

-- BEGIN included message

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:21:45 -0400
From: Brenda LiveOak <BlIVEOAK@worldnet.att.net>
To: GreenPlanet <riccawu@MNSi.Net>
Subject: Re: AAA Study Show Detroit Air Pollution Reduction

GreenPlanet wrote:

> Has anyone seen this?  Any comments??  Obviously the source is suspect, even
> though new autos are cleaner, this does not seem to jive with figures we
> have seen in the past from GLC or even SEMCOG.  This news item is ironic in
> a way, because it is usually the stationary people who claim that
> transporation is the big problem, lets have some fun and drop this mesasage
> on stationary folks. Anyone know a lawn mower company we can get comment
> from..EPA does say that they are 35 times more polluting than an auto.
>
> GP
>
> >***************************************************************************
> >   E-WIRE PRESS RELEASE   E-WIRE PRESS RELEASE    E-WIRE PRESS RELEASE
> >***************************************************************************
> >
> >TO STATE, AUTO AND ENVIRONMENTAL EDITORS:
> >
> >AAA Study Shows Substantial Reduction in Air Pollution From Autos in
> >Detroit Area
> >
> >      DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 13 -/E-Wire/-- During the past 26 years,
> >emissions of air pollutants in the Metro Detroit area from automobiles and
> >light trucks have been sharply reduced.  According to a study released
> >today in Washington, and supported by AAA Michigan, more than 75 percent of
> >the most harmful pollutants now come from stationary sources such as
> >factories, electric power plants and dry cleaners, as well as heavy trucks,
> >boats and lawn mowers.
> >
> >     The study, which reviewed data on emissions of volatile organic
> >compounds (VOC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) for 24 metropolitan areas in
> >the United States, concluded that autos and light trucks now account for
> >only 24 percent of VOC emissions and 16 percent of NOx emissions in the
> >seven-county Metro Detroit area.  In 1970, the numbers were 51 percent and
> >24 percent respectively.  These reductions were achieved despite a 57
> >percent increase in the number of miles traveled in the area by cars and
> >light trucks, the study estimates.
> >
> >     Stationary sources of pollution now account for 64 percent of NOx and
> >55 percent of VOC in the Detroit area's air, according to AAA's study.
> >Muskegon County showed similar results.
> >
> >     "This study provides further evidence that restrictions on motorists
> >likely to result from tougher air-quality standards the federal
> >Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is seeking to impose are unwise and
> >unnecessary," said Larry Givens, AAA Michigan's vice president for
> >corporate relations.  "The study shows that cars and light trucks are not
> >the major source of air pollution in the Detroit and Muskegon regions.
> >
> >     "AAA Michigan strongly supports the goals of the Clean Air Act.  We
> >applaud the successful effort auto manufacturers have made to reduce
> >pollution from vehicles.  We believe motorists are doing more than their
> >share to achieve clean-air goals by paying as much as $2,000 per car for
> >pollution- control equipment.  And we contend there is no justification for
> [...]
I agree with AAA as far as I do believe the greater source of air
pollution in the Detroit area is in our stationary sources. Mainly our
industry. Many of our air regs are totally unenforced. Wayne County air
Pollution Control is the enforcement agency for this area where as in
other parts of the state (MI) the state is the enforcer. Wayne County is
very lax when it comes to making these industries tow the mark. On any
given day a citizen can visit southwest Detroit and go on top of the I75
overpass (over the rouge river) and see this free "air show".  Detroit
WWTP, Great Lakes Steel, Ford Rouge plant, Marathons large oil refinery,
Allied signal, are very visible sources and the number of other sources
are endless. Follow your nose down Fort street, Oakwood Blvd or
Jefferson for other non-visible sources. It is endless.
I do not mean to minimize the effects of auto pollution on this
environment, anything would help, but I have to be honest to say that I
think Stopping industrial pollution in this area would have a greater
impact on reducing emissions. The industries here love it when we blame
the automobile for our emissions problems as it distracts from their
issue of noncompliance.
I believe AAA's assessment on who's to blame and think it would do a
grave injustice to the poor and minorities who live in that area if you
let others think reducing auto emissions will fix all their pollution
problems. I lived there. All the years that I did, I found that I did
reducing auto emissions did little to help the pollution problems but
going after the industries and doing all I could to get the regs
enforced on the large industries had the most effect. I am not a big
beleiver in Semcog, who have done little to clean up the problem here.
they work hard for auto emmisions reductions with various programs,
True....But.   You can hardly tell Detroit citizens to not run lawn
mowers and BBQ grills while they watch the the industries in their back
yard dump tons of pollution in the air. Dingell flip-flops on this issue
all the time. One month its not the industry its the cars, ...the next
its the industries, ...the next he says the studies are wrong, ...then
more study is needed and so on... it just depends on who is dishing out
the dollars on what bill. To think , Congress looks on Johnny as the
environmental expert. These are my thoughts on the issue. I am by no
means an expert. but I have a lot of "experience" and "exposure" to the
problem. I feel my lungs and body will forever suffer from the effects
the industrial pollution in the Detroit area has placed on them. I just
wish everyone could fix the auto emissions problem without trying to
diminish the other larger problem of industrial pollution in the area
that needs to be promptly addressed.
Brenda Liveoak

-- END included message