Re: E-M:/ General discussion of consumer products is OFF-TOPIC on Enviro-Mich

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 asagady@sojourn.com wrote:

> I find that I must again
> explain the purpose of the list, Enviro-Mich, because the two posters above
> (and potentially others) do not yet understand it.
...snip...

> Other relevant topics:   the conduct of industrial, commercial,
> business and municipal entities and
> their impact on environment, resources and public health;
...snip...

Alex,

This appears, to me, to include the production and use of products that
can either cause or mitigate impacts such as pollution, in production or
by their use. Laundry aids seem to me to be in this category. Consider
that phosphates are strongly regulated, and detergents cause problems with
sewage treatment and the processes wastewater. "Washing disks" are not
completely neutral in this context, since the makers claim certain
environmental benefits from their use. They are not, of course, a major
detriment or benefit at this time, and hence are rather peripheral to the
many larger issues.

I would also observe that I am very glad to have this mailinglist exist
and serve its intended purpose, but that a little latitude is appropriate
in discussions and the phenomenon of drift is well known. I don't think it
is very useful, however, to be too dictatorial about content unless, as
you suggest, the bounds of ettiquette or ethics are passed.

--Rane L. Curl