E-M:/ IL Parks Protected From Oil/Gas Drilling -Reply

It took Illinois until now to ban drilling for oil in state parks?
What took them so long, they are clearly way behind Michigan.

>>> <anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org>
-
8/19/97
6:16
PM

Enviro-Mich
message
from
anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org

As Michigan's Governor Engler continues to do his courtship dance
with the oil and gas industry, finding ever new arenas for them to
despoil, it is fascinating to see a nearby Great Lakes Governor
choose to say NO to drilling on key areas. AW

EDGAR SIGNS LEGISLATION TO PROTECT ILLINOIS PARKS FROM OIL DRILLING

Sierra Club today celebrated Illinois Governor Jim Edgar's signing of
Senate
Bill 795, which protects Illinois' state parks and conservation lands
from oil drilling activities.

"This new law will protect Illinois' parks from the damage that oil
and gas drilling can cause," said Jack Darin, State Field
Representative for the Sierra
Club, Illinois Chapter.  "Our parks and conservation lands were set
aside for our families and our future, not for private companies to
rip up and extract oil from."

Sierra Club leaders worked with the Edgar administration to develop
and pass
Senate Bill 795.  Several companies have been seeking permission to
drill for oil or gas in or underneath several Illinois conservation
properties in the southern part of the state.  The bill, signed into
law on Sunday, gives the
Illinois Department of Natural Resources the authority to deny such
requests.
Up until now, the state did not have such authority under laws passed
over fifty years ago.

"Now that the state has the power to keep oil rigs out of our state
parks, we hope we never see the day when Illinois hikers, birders,
hunters, and families have to share their parks with damaging oil or
gas wells," said Darin.  "Our parks just aren't the place to be
drilling for oil."

Oil and gas drilling operations can cause significant harm to the
environment in many ways.  Installing oil wells can destroy habitat,
and pollution from the wells can kill vegetation and degrade habitat,
in addition to leaving behind a costly cleanup job.

-30-

ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and
Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email
to majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info
enviro-mich"