Re: E-M:/ 2 Questions

Enviro-Mich message from dhoffgr@sensible-net.com (Donna Hoff-Grambau)

Korie Bachleda wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from Korie Bachleda <bachledk@msue.msu.edu>
>
> R. Jack wrote:
> >
> > 1)      We have 6 wooded acres, which includes a lot of wet land. There are
> > 2 ponds, which have a lot of amphibian life.  Our trees are mostly maple and
> > oak, with some other stuff thrown in that I can't name.  The problem:  our
> > oaks seem to be turning brown and dying. They start with the leaves getting
> > brown spots all over them, and the following year, they just don't come back
> > at spring.  They die.  There are probably about 6-7 that have begun with the
> > spots this year, and 2 of them have died this year.  What can we do?  Or is
> > it just mature trees passing?
>
> Rita,
> I work for MSU Extension in St. Joseph County.  However, since I'm the
> recycling lady not an Ag agent I don't know much about trees.  I asked
> our Ag Agent.  He said the symptons are common to many problems - it
> could be a number of things from diseases and insects to site problems
> and damage.  The best thing to do is to get a leaf sample over to your
> local Extension office (look under County Government-there is an
> Extension office in every County in Michigan).  They should be able to
> help you, since Extension is here to provide just such information.
> Another option is to pay a fee and send the sample to the MSU Plant and
> Pest Diagnostic Clinic at A159 Plant and Soil Sciences Bldg., East
> Lansing, MI 48824-1325 Phone (517) 355-4536 Fax (517) 353-1781
>
> Hope you find the answers and can save the remaining trees.

> and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.

This sounds very much like what is attacking my white oaks - and only
the white in fair numbers.  This years a great number of the small ones
just died.  I looked quite extensively and found what looked like a
caterpiller under one of the leaves merrily chewing away.  I had looked
before and didn't see anything.  I suspect, any one can counter this.
That the oaks were the preferrence of the gypsy moth and were weakened
extensively throughout that problem and so they are more prone to other
pests.

Donna Hoff-Grambau