Re: E-M:/ Industry to meet re: Air Quality?

At 05:47 PM 8/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "R. Jack" <yukon@ismi.net>
>
>I'm sorry if this is sketchy, but I'm hoping that someone else who heard the
>story can fill in the blanks...  Michigan Radio reported today of a
>conference coming up tomorrow? in the state, which will include industry
>reps from Dow, others from St. Joseph, Grand Rapids, and from metro-Detroit.
>The report stated the purpose of the meeting is for industry to come to a
>consensus and for them all to show a united front to the Michigan
>Legislature and to Gov. Engler on (air quality) regulation (?) -
>
>Who knows more?  I'm sorry, but I was passing a truck when the story was on
>and I missed most of it.

I didn't hear the radio report but it may be referring to the "Southeast
Michigan/ Southwest Ontario Regional Environmental Summit"
October 14-15, 1997,  convened by the Greater Detroit Chamber of
Commerce  and the Canadian Consulate General

This $195 per person admission meeting is intended to:

discuss "vision statements develped on five key environmental
issues -- air quality, brownfields, habitat, waste management
and water quality.    Identify possible alternative visions.  Finalized a
list of "common ground" objectives that provide a "macro-vision"
for the region and identified measures to track progress toward a balanced
quality of life and a sound environment."

The meeting is supposed to include environmentalists but there are
no representatives on environmental organizations on the program.

Maybe what this meeting needs is a "truth squad,"  Hunter S. Thompson
style, to reign in the jive with a hunter-gatherer approach to
publicizing alternative viewpoints....

Here are the subjects of the panels:

Air-- Ozone, PM STandards, EPA
Facilitator, Al Greenberg, Consultant

Water Quality -- Detroit River International Aspects, Municipal waste water
    treatment, drinking water
Charles Rowney, Camp Dresser and McKee

Habitat  -- Greenway Development, wetlands urban sprawl
William Cooper, PhD., MSU Dept. of Zoology

Brownfields --   Cleanup standards, redevelopment, development of clean industry
R.J King, Detroit News, facilitator

Waste Management -- Flow Control- -International, Low Level Radwaste, Recycling
Linda Headley, Headley Pratt Consulting

Conference participants will produce a report which "will be provided to
policy makers and business and community leaders throughout the region as a
"road map" by which progress and salient milestones can be measured
at future summits"

Dennis Archer will be there along with Russell "let's make Michigan
more like Sarnia, Ontario" Harding.   Refreshments are provided by the
same folks who, in part, brought you the Detroit Incinerator, Roy Weston Inc.;
and law firm Honigman, Miller, Schwartz & Cohn (several of those guys
presently lurk on the Enviro-Mich list...)

A panel on Global Climate Change; Michigan Impact  will be featured
by the Michigan Global Climate Coalition  (are these the guys that
Dave Dempsey alluded to that want to keep things hot?...)

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)