Re: E-M:/ Allegan State Game Area public info meeting

At 01:36 PM 9/10/97 PST, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from anne.woiwode@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>
>DNR Wildlife Division manages the Allegan State Game Area, a rich and diverse
>area in southwestern Michigan.  As with many other places in Michigan, this
>region is facing pressures from sprawl, making the Allegan State Game Area an
>increasingly valuable wildland jewel.  Habitat for migratory songbirds and
>prairie plants are found here, along with common game species.
>
>On Thursday, September 25 at 7 p.m., the DNR will hold its "second biannual
>meeting of 1997" at Allegan High School, located on M-40/89 on the west side
>of the city of Allegan. The notice states: "topics to be covered shall include
>1997 hunting season, hunting procedural and rule changes, timber sale updates,
>review of summer habitat management and future management activities.  All
>citizens are welcome to attend and express their concerns, opinions or
>suggestions."

Can someone please explain why timber sales would be encouraged or
permitted in limited state game areas in Southern Michigan???

What am I missing here??

Is this a timber sale to help meet John Engler's "cut and run" goals
for the state, or is this a timber sale to grow more deer habitat
(low shrubs) so that we can run over more deer on the highway
in Southern Michigan and have those little critters eat more
Round-Up contaminated corn in farmer's fields???

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)