From: Citizens For A Sound Economy <jordan@cse.org>
Subject: How Clean is Clean Enough?

The On-line NewsHour Forum intends to find out
just how clean our air needs to be, and at what
price, during a Q&A session between Paul
Beckner, President of Citizens for a Sound
Economy (CSE), and Carol Browner, the head of
the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA).  That's why CSE is e-mailing you today.

At issue are the highly controversial changes to
the nation's air quality laws that President
Clinton approved in July.  CSE has been
involved in this battle since the EPA proposed
these sweeping command-and-control style
regulations in November of last year.  This
cyber-version of Jim Lehrer's PBS newscast is
actively soliciting questions from the public that
will be posed to Mr. Beckner and Ms. Browner.
We are encouraging all of our members and
friends from around the country to submit their
questions to www.pbs.org/newshour by 12:00
noon EDT on Friday, September 12th.

Keep in mind the many questions that have
surrounded theses standards from the
beginning: are they necessary, what are the
actual costs and do the ends justify the means?
 Of course we all want clean air; CSE is
attempting to inject a modicum of common
sense into this issue.  Here are some facts that
you may be aware of:

(NOTE FROM CHAD:  I MADE A FEW COMMENTS ON THE SIDE IN CAPS...)

1.  The studies the EPA used to develop these (I SUPPOSE ALL 200+ INDEPEN-
standards are unreliable; the EPA has admitted DENTLY REVIEWED STUDIES ARE
to this.  A senior environmental advisor to 	FLAWED!)
President Jimmy Carter discovered a data error
that forced the EPA to drastically decrease the
number of people they claimed would die
prematurely without these new standards.

2.  Even though our air is 30% cleaner than 25 	(HOWEVER, THE OZONE
years ago, the ranks of asthmatic children have STANDARD HASN'T BEEN
increased 73%  In fact, Newsweek recently 	CHANGED IN NEARLY 20
reported "...outdoor air pollution can't be driving YEARS!)
the asthma pandemic because it has improved
in recent years."

3.  The EPA's own scientific advisory council (HENCE 5 YEARS OF STUDY ON
cannot agree on what, if any, health benefits will 	CLEAR AIR INCLUDED
result from these standards.				IN LEGISLATION)

				(OH YEAH, ONLY 2 OF 20 DISSENTED!)

4.  The Clinton Administration estimates the
costs of these new regulations wil be $8.5
billion.  However, the Reason Public Policy
Institute (RPPI) has estimated the price tag at
between $90 and $150 billion!  Nationwide,	(WHAT ABOUT UP TO $120
							BILLION
RPPI estimates between 200,000 and 400,000 	BILLION IN HEALTH
jobs will be lost, and the average American's 	SAVINGS?)
disposable income will drop $250 to $450 each
year.  This in turn, reduces overall economic
activity and employment.

Remember -- the On-Line Newshour Forum is
asking that all questions be submitted to
www.pbs.org/newshour by 12:00 noon EDT, 	(I'D SUGGEST DOING THIS!)
Friday, September 12th.  The results of the Q&A
session will be posted on Saturday -- don't forget
to check that out as well.  As always, Citizens
for a Sound Economy thanks you for your
activism and interest.