E-M:/ Re: NAFTA fast track

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

I'm glad Chad posted this message. Clean Water Action has been working
closely with interested groups and individuals to advance a FAIR trade
agenda in Michigan. Feel free to contact me for information about the status
of Michigan's Congressional delegation. For the record, Lynn Rivers has been
outstanding on trade issues.  She was awarded the highest possible ranking
for a first term member of Congress last September by the Citizens Trade
Campaign. Congressman Bonior continues to lead the anti-NAFTA charge for
many of the reasons Chad outlined.

As for the Multilateral Agreement on Investments, a Detroit debate is
scheduled for Friday, September 26th at Noon at Community Arts Building of
Wayne State University. The panelists will include: Steve Beckman,
International Economist, International Union, UAW; Amy Holm an, U.S.
Department of State; Richard Blouse, President of Greater Detroit Chamber of
Commerce; Lori Wallach, Director, Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch; Scott
Nova, Director, Preamble Center for Public Policy; and Irvin Reid,
President, Wayne State University (moderator).

The MAI will directly impact local, state and federal laws that seek to make
corporations responsible to any forces outside of the market, including
human rights, worker rights, the environment and local economic development.
The Clinton Administration announced that the MAI will be on the President's
Fast Track request (specific language has yet to be released) to be
submitted to Congress within days. However, few people, including members of
Congress, have even heard of this agreement much less understand its
far-reaching implications.

If anyone is interested in working together on trade-related issues in
Michigan, please contact me. I am coordinating the Michigan Fair Trade
Campaign, which is affiliated with the national Citizens Trade Campaign.

Thanks again, Chad!

Cyndi Roper, Michigan Director
Clean Water Action
4990 Northwind Dr., Suite 210