E-M:/ Bill to ban drilling under Great Lakes

Bill to ban directional drilling under Great Lakes in works

State Senator Bill Schuette is preparing to introduce a bill into the Michigan
Legislature that would BAN all directional drilling for oil and gas reserves
located under the Great Lakes.  This bill is currently being drafted, but
Schuette expects that there will be significant opposition to the bill from
the oil and gas industry.  Schuette indicates that his bill was in the works
before an announcement today that Governor Engler is preparing to ban
directional drilling under Ludington State Park, and that it will be
introduced shortly.

While we don't have the language, this is clearly a welcomed proposal from a
member of the majority party in the Michigan Senate.  I am sure Senator
Schuette would welcome support -- his office in Lansing has a toll free
number: 1-800-393-5875.

Anne Woiwode
Sierra Club