Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:12:12 EDT
From: Brian M Imus <pirgim1@juno.com>
To: Kgriggs@gmi.edu
Subject: clean air

Karen,

Here is a copy of the letter. It would be great to have someone from the
local chapter
....sign on to the letter. I am
also working to organize in Grand Rapids. If you know of others I can get
in touch with there please let me know.  I appreciate all your help. Let
me know if there is anything more I can be doing to help you out.

Thanks,
Brian

To the editor,

	It is outrageous that Representative Kildee has chosen to put the
interests of polluters over the health of his constituents by
co-sponsoring a bill (Klink/Upton H.R. 1984) that would block the
implementation of tough new clean air standards proposed by the Clinton
administration in June.
	More than 20 million Americans have chronic respiratory problems
(chronic bronchitis, asthma, and emphysema) and live in areas with levels
of smog likely to trigger their illness. Recent studies by the American
Lung Association have shown that new air pollution dangers have effected
children the most. Asthma is now the leading serious chronic illness of
children, and in fact has doubled in the last 20 years. As well, children
playing outdoors in ozone levels 33% below current standards have
experienced as much as a 20% loss of lung function. The problem is
worsened by the fact that ozone levels tend to be highest on warm, sunny
days - the very days children like to be outside playing.
	The Michigan Environmental Health Coalition and PIRGIM endorse
tough new clean air standards proposed and call on Representative Kildee
to do what is in the best interest of his constituents; take his name of
off the Klink/Upton dirty air bill.

Mary Beth Doyle, Director
Michigan Environmental Health Coalition
118 N. Division St.