E-M:/ 25th Anniversary of Clean Water Act

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

As many of you know, the 25th anniversary of the federal Clean Water Act is
Saturday, October 18th. In conjunction with the anniversary, several events
will be held across the state (and nationwide) on THURSDAY, OCTOBER 16TH to
release a report developed by the Clean Water Network*. The report, which is
entitled A PRESCRIPTION FOR CLEAN WATER: HOW TO MEET THE GOALS OF THE CLEAN
WATER ACT, focusses on the needs to strengthen the Clean Water Act and
provides examples of where it has succeeded and failed in communities
throughout the country.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN HELPING WITH THE RELEASE IN THEIR COMMUNITY,
PLEASE LET ME KNOW A.S.A.P. If you have a local problem or success story
you'd like to highlight, we can dovetail this with the release of the
report. I need to finalize all releases by Monday, October 13th so please
contact me as soon as possible.

Just a note about the Clean Water Act...
Congress is five years overdue in taking action to strengthen protections
for our water and health through the reauthorization of the Clean Water Act,
letting problems linger and grow in many communities across the country.
Reflecting misplaced spending priorities, there is a huge and growing gap
between what is needed and what is allocated for local water protection and
clean-up. On the 25th anniversary of this landmark piece of environmental
legislation, Clean Water Action is kicking off its Campaign for Clean Safe
Water to help fulfill the original goal of the Clean Water Act: making all
of our waters safe for drinking, swimming and fishing. If you're interested
in finding out more about this effort, please contact me. Thanks!

*The Clean Water Network is a national alliance of over 1,000 organizations
(including several in Michigan) representing environmentalists, commercial
fishers, anglers, surfers, family farmers, environmental justice advocates,
faith communities, civic associations, boaters, labor unions and
recreational enthusiasts working together for cleaner waters.

Cyndi Roper, Michigan Director
Clean Water Action
4990 Northwind Dr., Suite 210
East Lansing, MI  48823