E-M:/ NO WASTE!!!

Enviro-Mich message from "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@classic.msn.com>

MEDIA ADVISORY
October 10, 1997

The Toronto Trash Campaign, a citizen's environmental group formed in the wake
of a garbage disposal contract between Browning-Ferris Industries (BFI) and
the City of Toronto, has changed its name to NO WASTE or the Network of Waste
Activists Stopping Trash Exports.

The group formed in early 1997 to try to stop the 5-year contract between BFI
and Toronto, which, beginning in 1998, will bring up to 500,000 tons per year
of Toronto's municipal garbage to Michigan for disposal at BFI's Arbor Hills
landfill in Washtenaw County, Michigan.  BFI stands to make between $65 and
$100 million on the deal.  Since the group's formation, over 3,000 letters to
Canadian officials have been collected by NO WASTE, who plan to personally
deliver these letters to Canadian officials later this month.

"We've changed our name to NO WASTE because it more accurately depicts the
expanded purpose of the group--to educate people and lobby our government
about the environmentally destructive nature of our current solid waste import
and export policies," says Jeff Surfus, president of NO WASTE.  "To us, it's
insane that we are recycling and at the same time allowing the waste
management companies to dictate a policy in Michigan and elsewhere which
allows for more landfills and import of wastes from farther and farther away.
It's a recipe for environmental destruction and massive profits for the waste
management companies."

The group, while changing it's name, still promises to fight the Toronto deal
and make things difficult for BFI.  "We will fight, contract by contract, if
we have to, until more sensible waste management laws are enacted both here in
Michigan and at the federal level" says Surfus.

"Ultimately, we hope for a national (or international) network of activists
who are working to fight the tremendous accumulation of power in the
multinational waste management companies.  They have purchased the power from
certain key legislators here in Michigan through legal campaign contributions
and it's happening elsewhere as well."

For more information about NO WASTE, contact the Ecology Center of Ann Arbor
at (313) 663-2400 or e-mail NO WASTE at nowaste@yahoo.com.