Re: E-M:/ Make Polluters Pay

At 10:44 AM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from SWDulan@aol.com
>
>Regarding the changes to Superfund:
>
>I have some concerns about the current law due to a recent telvised report
>that showed abuses in the current system that led to the federal government
>coming down hard on some small business owners who had happened to use their
>local landfill quite legally and innocently.  The bureaucrats charged with
>enforcement, and the legislators who voted for it, say that current law
>mandates such actions, though no one thinks it is right, just, or effective.

This type of situation...like the one you saw in the 60 minutes program,
happened with here in Michigan at the Metamora Landfill Superfund site.

However, I think that it is wrong to blame the bureaucrats for this....instead
blame the Legislators who allowed liability for toxic waste dumping to
be spread by industry lawyers to ordinary citizens with ordinary trash
to dump in the landfill....and blame the company lawyers who did the
liability distribution in attempting to evade corporate  cleanup
responsibilities.....

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)