E-M:/ MDEQ and the Freedom of Information Act

After a recent incident in the Shiawassee District Office of the MDEQ
Waste Management Division, I've become curious about others' experience
with recent freedom of information act requests to the MDEQ.

If anybody has had recent experiences with excessive charges for FOIA
requests,  refusal to consider or grant waivers of fees pursuant to the
statutory provisions of the Michigan Freedom of Information Act,
failure to give a written denial on requested fee waivers,
failure to disclose documents that are disclosable and that are
known to exist, arbitrary requirements being imposed requiring requestors to
lock up briefcases during searches, or other forms of bureaucratic
harassment, please contact me at  asagady@sojourn.com

After getting charged $20.69 for 33 pages of documents in about 6 documents
from a 3/4 inch file, after getting 2 denials on documents known to exist
and after getting harassed by having Shiawassee Waste Management Division
staff require that I lock up my briefcase during document searching, I'm
sufficiently motivated to more completely document the Engler Administration's
approach to trashing public participation via this kind of bureaucratic
harassment.

I'm looking for the following information:

1.  Your name, address, phone, and email
2.  The entity on which you were seeking records
3.  The MDEQ Division you were dealing with
4.  The location of the MDEQ Office you were dealing with
4.  The nature of any of the types of MDEQ FOIA-related conduct noted above.

I'll compile the responses for posting here on behalf of either the Sierra Club
or the Michigan Environmental Council.

Alex Sagady
Environmental Consultant

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)