Re: E-M:/ Light pollution

Enviro-Mich message from sherry.hayden@sfsierra.sierraclub.org

Doug Welker writes, "Light pollution may seem like a minor issue since it
doesn't cause cancer and no threatened and endangered species are involved, but
it does represent a threat to the enjoyment of the night sky in rural areas in
particular."

Fact is, we don't know what it does.  How do you suppose it affects noctural
animals who are always waiting for the darkness that never comes?  Do you think
you are any different?  Don't know about you, but I fight the tendency to sleep
more in the dark months of the year. A leftover from hibernation?  It's natural
to be in tune with the darkness and the light.

Light pollution is very much *pollution.*  In the  Winter 1996 issue of The
Amicus Journal, Arthur R. Upgren wrote an illuminating (sorry, couldn't stop
myself) piece called "Night Blindness: Light pollution is changing astronomy,
the environment, and our experience of nature." Upgren is a professor of
astronomy at Wesleyan University and holds a research position at Yale. He is
(has?) written a book on the features of the night sky.

So Doug, don't be concerned about whining. You are in the company of the learned
and aware.  This is a real issue affecting even the far reaches of the Upper
Peninsula, and I wish it was a topic of concern in the media.