Re: E-M:/ Steel Recycling?

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

Alex or others - any idea how the emissions  and energy consumption for a
recycling plant compare to producing steel from ore? There are some
important concerns below about waste stock recycled and location of the
recycling plant. However, my guess is that the emissions generated when
crushing ore, generating electricity to make taconite pellets, etc. have a
greater impact than recycling, so that a properly run plant would be more
sustainable and less polluting than using ore (which is due to run out up
here in 25-30 years).

At 12:08 AM 1/25/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from asagady@sojourn.com
>
>At 10:16 PM 1/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Enviro-Mich message from anne l-g <aleavitt@umich.edu>
>>
>>I am student at the University of Michigan and am researching the
>>environmental downside to the steel recycling plant that is thinking of
>>locating in Flint.  I am wondering if anyone knows more about the steel
>>recycling process and what kinds of things these plants typically
>>(rather than claim to) emit, as well as where I might be able to learn
>>more about the harm that they cause.  Any further information on this
>>would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Anne Leavitt-Gruberger
>

>I've been taking a first, very preliminary look at this plant.
>
>An electric arc furnace accepting scrap steel poses potential
>emissions of particulate matter, toxic metals, and volatile
>organic compounds.
>
>The biggest problem I see so far with this plant is that it does not
>have any emission controls for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
>VOCs are released from such facilities when scrap containing
>oil, grease, paint or other organic matrix contaminants are
>charged to a metal melting furnace.   The organics are flashed
>off in this process, and the plant as proposed will release
>any such organics that do find their way into the metal melting
>furnace on an uncontrolled basis.
>
>The applicant is proposing to screen incoming scrap steel
>and to not accept certain items likely to generate VOCs
>as outlined above.   It is not clear to me that the list of items
>that could not be accepted is complete enough as proposed.
>It is also not clear how such a practice will be implemented
>as a permit condition that would be enforceable.   I saw no
>proposed VOC continuous emissions monitor, for example,
>in the proposal.
>
>There is some indication that certain steel-making facilities
>may be sources of chlorinated dibenzo-dioxin compounds.  Without
>more research, I don't yet know if such emissions would
>be likely from this plant.
>
>Particle emissions from this type of plant can be very substantial
>when PM emission controls malfunction, or if emissions
>escape from hoods designed to collect emissions from
>specific process sources.  If the velocity of air flows around
>the hoods is not sufficient, then uncontrolled particle emissions
>will be released to general building ventilation and to the
>outside.
>
>In addition, the handling  of slag/waste materials can be significant
>sources of
>particulate air contaminants.
>
>The site is located with residential neighbors in a relatively
>poor neighborhood directly adjacent to the proposed
>site along Lewis Road, Stanley Road and Dort Highway.
>These residents may be troubled by potential noise and
>air impacts from the proposed plant because they will
>be right on top of any plant that is built at that location.
> [...]
John Rebers
Department of Biology
1401 Presque Isle Avenues
Northern Michigan University