E-M:/ Sagady's State of the State message

Enviro-Mich message from Patrick Diehl <patmec@voyager.net>

Alex Sagady:

No one dislikes John Engler more than I do, for a myriad of reasons.  I
think, however, that you do a significant disservice to not only the
environmental community but to the larger community of folks involved with
public policy formation when you resort to juvenile name-calling.  I am
embarrassed to know someone who begins his e-mail postings with "fat-boy
draft-dodging guv."  Impressive display of professionalism, Alex.

Pat Diehl

At 01:26 PM 1/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from asagady@sojourn.com
>
>As we hear of an election year "conversion" of John Engler on
>the environmental issue, let us not forget the hostile/anti-environment
>posture of our fat-boy draft dodging guv from his speech as
>a "darling" of the Washington DC based Competitive Enterprise
>Institute.....   Read this to know the true John Engler, which I'm reposting
>for the benefit of those who have joined the list in the last year....
>
>George Weeks, political columnist for the Detroit News, has been
>trying to "rehabilitate" Engler's environmental record.   I'm convinced
>that Engler wants to be President; but he can't do it without having
>some kind of raproachment on the environmental issue.    Given Engler's
>record, Michigan enviros should deny him this or otherwise potentially
face an
>Engler White House in 2000 or 2004.... not a good way to face the
>new millenia!!
>
>For the younger folks out there, Warren T Brookes is a deceased former
>Detroit News opinion columnist who had a direct line to anti-environmental
>PR from all of the Washington trade associations and who relentlessly
>ridiculed and
>criticized all manner of environmental protection and conservation efforts
in
>his columns.
>
>=======
>

>                        Warren T. Brookes Fellowship Memorial Dinner
>                             Remarks by Governor John Engler
>                                   Tuesday, November 19,1996
>

>   As you may know, Joe Olson, before he took the post of Insurance
>Commissioner in my administration, was Chair of the Board of Directors
>at the Mackinac Center -- a Michigan-based think tank that we call the CEI
>of the midwest.
>
>   Actually, if Warren Brookes were alive today, I am certain he would be
>thrilled
>at the degree to which idea-generating organizations like CEI, the Cato
>Institute
>and the Heritage Foundation are leading the debate in Washington.
>
>   Certainly, he would be proud -- extremely proud -- of the scholars who
have
>so ably filled the Warren Brookes   Fellowship in Environmental Journalism.
>Beginning with Ron Bailey, and continuing with Michael Fumento, Michelle
>Malkin and James Bovard, these Warren Brookes fellows have represented
>the epitome of excellent scholarship,  thoughtful analysis and outstanding
>writing.
>
>   Indeed, every time I pick up a newspaper like the Wall Street Journal and
>see a column by a scholar such as Jim   Bovard, I think of Warren and know
>that he lives on -- not just through the CEI fellows but through all of us.
>
>   We share his belief in the power of free markets. We share his
skepticism of
>bureaucratic science -- BS as Warren used to call it. And we share his
> [...]

Patrick Diehl
Associate Director
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette Dr., Suite 2A