E-M:/ Michigan journalists encouraged to apply

Enviro-Mich message from Jim Detjen <detjen@pilot.msu.edu>

Deadline for Great Lakes Environmental Journalism Training Institute is
March 16, 1997

	This is a reminder that the deadline for applying for fellowships
to attend the third Great Lakes Environmental Journalism Training Institute
at Michigan State University is Monday, March 16, 1997.  This four and a
half day workshop, to be held June 2 to 6, 1998, at MSU's Kellogg Center
and MSU's Journalism School, will bring together more than 25 speakers on
Great Lakes' environmental issues and environmental journalism.
	This institute is aimed at training journalists from the Great
Lakes states (New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois,
Wisconsin and Minnesota) and the Canadian province of Ontario about
environmental journalism and Great Lakes issues. The fellowship pays for
your tuition, room and board, reading materials, computer training and
tuition. There is no cost to apply. Journalists selected to participate
must pay a $75 registration fee upon notification and acceptance.
	The institute will bring together leading environmental
journalists, scientists, educators and environmental leaders to help train
journalists.	 Among the new topics to be discussed at the 1998 institute
are sustainable development, nuclear power, biodiversity and forestry
issues. Sessions will also be held on air and water pollution, exotic
species, environmental justice, computer-assisted reporting and other
issues.
	We expect that the 1998 institute will have an outstanding line-up
of speakers. Among our past speakers have been top officials at the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency, the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric
Administration, the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory and other
agencies and universities. Among the top journalists who spoke at the 1996
and 1997 institutes were Casey Bukro, an environmental writer at The
Chicago Tribune; Deborah Potter, former environmental and political writer
for CBS-TV and CNN; Rae Tyson, former president of the Society of
Environmental Journalists; Keith Schneider, former national environmental
writer for The New York Times; Russ Clemings, an expert on
computer-assisted reporting at The Fresno Bee; David Poulson, environmental
writer at Booth Newspapers in Michigan; and many others.
	The institute will consist of lectures, debates, hands-on
exercises, workshops, tours and other educational programs. The 25
journalists selected to participate will observe pollution-monitoring
efforts on board the research vessel, Shenehon, on Lake Michigan; view
environmental research at the Kellogg Biological Station in Hickory
Corners, Michigan; see one of the Midwest's most advanced solar-powered
homes; visit a Lansing Lugnuts baseball game; and participate in other
activities.
	Journalists who attended our two previous institutes gave them rave
reviews. "I rate this program as among the highest quality and most
substantial of any I've attended in 13 years as a professional reporter,"
said John Myers, a reporter with The Duluth (Minn.) News Tribune. And
Myfanwy Davies, a journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., said,
"This was a superb institute -- the best I've attended."
	The institute is sponsored by the Knight, Gund, Dart and Helmut
Stern foundations and the National Institute for Environmental Health
Sciences in conjunction with the U.S.  Society of Environmental
Journalists, the MSU Environmental Journalism program and the MSU Institute
for Environmental Toxicology.
	To receive an application form and more information about the
institute, contact Barb Miller, assistant to the Knight Chair, by calling
517-432-1415; by FAX at 517-355-7710; by e-mail at Mille384@pilot.msu.edu
or by writing to 342 Communication Arts Building, Michigan State
University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1212.
	Or you can download an application form from our web site at
http://www.journalism.msu.edu/journalism/environment/Lake.htm .
	To apply, journalists must submit an application form, a resume, a
one-page letter of interest and a nomination letter from one of their
editors or superiors. Application forms must be postmarked by Monday, March
16, 1998 to be considered for this fellowship.

					Very sincerely,

					Jim Detjen
					Knight Professor and Director of the
					MSU Environmental Journalism Program

Jim Detjen
Knight Chair in Journalism
Director, Environmental Journalism Program
MSU School of Journalism
341 Communication Arts
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1212