E-M:/ Scorecard: Access to the scores via the Web

Enviro-Mich message from Lisa Wozniak <lcvmi@igc.apc.org>

Another update re: yesterday's LCV National Environmental Scorecard
release.  Includes info on how to access the entire scorecard via the Web.

>Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:54:19 -0500
>To: broadcast@Indy1.newmedium.com
>From: LCV <lcv@lcv.org>
>Subject: Environmental Ratings for Congress Released

>1997 Environmental Ratings for Congress Released
>Learn how Your Representatives and Senators Vote on the Environment
>
>You may care about protecting the environment,
>but do your Members of Congress?
>
>Find out through the just-released National Environmental Scorecard at
>
>http://scorecard.lcv.org.
>
>The League of Conservation Voters today released the 1997 National
>Environmental Scorecard which rates each Member of Congress on the
>most important environmental votes cast during the First Session of
>the 105th Congress.
>
>The LCV National Environmental Scorecard includes the key Congressional
>votes in 1997 on environmental issues including clean air, wildlife
>protections and funding of environmental programs, as determined by
>experts from 27 environmental and conservation groups. Based on the
>tallies, the LCV Scorecard assigns a percentage score to every
>Representative and Senator. A 100 percent score indicates the strongest
>voting record in support of the environment, while a 0 percent score
>shows consistent voting against environmental protection.
>
>"The leaders in Congress are leading in the wrong direction on the
>environment," said LCV President Deb Callahan. The top members of
>the Senate majority leadership team scored a "zero" on the 1997 LCV
>Scorecard, while Chairmen of the major committees in the House that
>affect environmental issues earned an average six percent. "With
>leaders like this, it's no wonder we haven't seen Congress take the
>lead to protect the health of our environment," Callahan said. The
>Senate Minority leadership averaged 81 percent.
>
>On average, Members in both the House and Senate cast more votes
>against environmental protection than for it. The national average
>score is 47 percent for all Members of the House and 46 percent for
>the Senate. While 133 Members scored over 80 percent, 182 Members
>scored under 20 percent.
>
>CHECK OUT LCV's SCORECARD ON THE WEB!
>LCV has launched a redesigned homepage and online Scorecard for
>accessing and analyzing the environmental scores. You can find LCV's
>1997 National Environmental Scorecard at http://scorecard.lcv.org.
>
>The online Scorecard offers individualized pages for all 535 Members
>of Congress, state delegations and the entire House and Senate. You
>can use a zip code "look-up" feature to determine your Representative
>and Senators scores, or search by particular issue areas.
>
>In addition to viewing each Member's percentage score and the votes
>considered in computing the scores, you can now for the first time
>create customized searches and detailed analysis on LCV's web site.
>For example, you can generate averages for sub-groups of the House
>or Senate based on any combination of party affiliation, gender,

> [...]
Lisa Wozniak
Great Lakes Regional Director
League of Conservation Voters Education Fund
1018 Congress Street
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
313-485-1162
313-485-1182 fax