E-M:/ George Weeks' "Mission Impossible" on Engler

As noted in previous messages, George Weeks, the political
columnist for the Detroit News, has taken on the formidable
task of painting a "green" image for John Engler.

Weeks is, of course, the former PR man for Bill Milliken....so
it seems he has changed Governors and changed jobs, but
he is apparently still doing unpaid PR for Engler for
all practical purposes.

Weeks' latest "Mission Impossible" effort to rehabilitate
Engler as environmentally concerned came in yesterday's
Detroit News.   See:

http://detnews.com/EDITPAGE/9802/10/weeks/weeks.htm

In this column, we're supposed to believe John Engler is
a true blue environmentalist because he has inserted some
cash in the agriculture department budget to study alternatives
to pesticides.

Of course trying to paint John Engler as an environmentalist
is like trying to remake Dr. Hannibal Lechter over as the
Frugal Gourmet.

We don't seem to hear at all from Weeks about Engler trashing citizen
boards and commissions and relaxing environmental rules
in the Engler Administration.  But when you have a mission from
the top brass at the Detroit News we can't let the facts get
in the way, eh?

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)