Re: E-M:/ SIGN ON LETTER

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

If the proposed bill would allow local governments to set limits more
strict than a minimum state standard, then I could see some possibilities
where allowing that to occur would improve things. Does the current state
law preclude more strict local regulations? If not, and if all control is
turned over to the local areas, I could easily see the scenario Sherry
mentions coming about.

John Rebers

At 10:17 PM 2/17/1998 -0800, sherry.hayden@sfsierra.sierraclub.org wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from sherry.hayden@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
>

>Greetings,
>
>I passed info about the MUCC billboard stuff on to my best friend who is
bigger
>of brain than I am. To my surprise, she asked the same questions I rather
>foggily raised to myself.  Here's her email to me:
>
>"This puzzles me because I don't know the current standards for
billboards.  Why
>is local control better?  Wouldn't that create a lot of areas that
tolerate or
>even encourage billboards?  Will it be like going from Ann Arbor to Ypsilanti
>on Washtenaw Avenue, where you can mark the border by the sudden
appearance of
>many tall, garish flashing signs? Maybe i'm just too tired, but I'm not
getting
>something important here."
>
>Maybe something important is missing. Anyone care to comment?
>
>Sherry Hayden

enviro-mich"

John Rebers
Central Upper Peninsula Group, Sierra Club
338 West Crescent Street
Marquette, MI  49855
906-227-1585 (office)
906-228-3617 (home)
906-227-1063(FAX)
e-mail address: jrebers@nmu.edu

This message brought to you with 100% recycled electrons. :-)